Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Welcome to September!

The whirlwind of September has begun and I'm sure everyone is settling in.  I love the newness of September...new students, new staff, new books and new ideas to try! Today I worked with one of our new teacher-librarians to set up her library. All the books were in boxes because of a renovation over the summer as they make the move to library learning commons. As we unpacked and shelved, I reflected on how libraries have changed in the last few years. We've said goodbye to outdated encyclopedia sets as we welcomed iPads and the use of online resources. The videotapes and dvds have been replaced, for the most part, by video streaming. The library learning commons model offers more flexibility. Students no longer have to wait until their "library day" to exchange a book they are finished reading. They come when they need to come. The quietness has been replaced with a hum of activity as many library learning commons are including makerspaces. What hasn't changed is the love of learning and the wonderful stories we share. If you have a favourite book to read in September, please share it in the comments!

Setting up the Easy Fiction section in the new library learning commons
at A.H.P. Matthew Elementary with Jeanette Paul

3 comments:

  1. This year I read Amelia Bedelia's First Library Card as a part of my first library classes...it is cute but a lot of the humour was lost on the youngest students. I have also used Library Lion, Mrs Brooks loves Books and I don't and Wild About Books. I may also read My Librarian is a Camel by Margriet Ruurs this month to talk about how libraries are all unique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your September book list, Andrea. I have also used "Wild About Books," by Judy Sierra. There is a bookmark I had students make which reminds them of their library day. You can find it here: http://imallbooked.blogspot.ca/2013/09/library-lesson-wild-about-books.html

      Delete